Design flaws/bugs in subuser¶
- Application startup time is slowed. On my system with Docker’s
aufsbackend it takes 2.5 seconds extra time for all applications, be it
iceweasel. I have read reports that on newer systems with SSDs and
btrfsthis can be reduced to a quarter of a second.
- Certain things involving sharing of data between applications, like the clipboard in vim, just won’t work.
- DBUS/gsettings don’t work between subusers.
- Inheriting the $PWD is a generally shitty idea. If I run vim in my home dir, it can see and edit all of my files. The only security advantage is if I run vim in some subdirectory.
- I hope this will be fixed by something more sophisticated like giving access only to paths specified in the command line arguments.
- Disk usage is several times greater when installing one container per application due to the reduced ability to share dependencies